Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Free Pattern: Quick Cabled Cup Cozy



As promised, here is the pattern! It is very easy and only consists of a simple cable rib, which has a multiple of 7 sts + 3. Oh, there is a little crocheting to do. If you need help with it, here is help. A quick knit--only takes about 2 hours to knit. I think they make for a great Christmas or birthday gift for your children's teachers, your Pastor, the mailman, or anybody you think worthy. Go ahead and make one for yourself. You are worthy. ;)

You will need:
Any worsted weight yarn (I used Cotton-Ease to keep down on allergies)
Size 8 Knitting Needles
Cable Needle
Size H Crochet hook
Two 1/2" Buttons (I used all leather ones that are machine washable)
Matching sewing thread
Jiffy Grip (optional)
Aleene's OK To Wash It glue (also optional)
Fray Check
Tea Cup

First, measure the circumference around the top of your cup. Mine measures 12 inches, but the cozy fits 11" and 11 1/2" circumference as well. Any needed adjustments can be made in the placement of the buttons. If your cup is larger than this, you, perhaps have a soup bowl? In which case, math and gauge would be necessary. I didn't bother with gauge because the cables dictate.

Cast on 52 Stitches. (Updated 9/30/09 ) Please Note - the number of repeats has been corrected and is now shown in red.

Rows 1 and 3: *P3, K4* repeat 6 times, P3
Rows 2, 4, and 6: *K3, P4* repeat 6 times, K3
Row 5: *P3, C4F [Slip 2 stiches on cable needle and leave at front of work, K 2 stitches, K 2 stitches from cable needle]* repeat 6 times, P3

Repeat these 6 rows four times or whatever is needed for your cup height. Mine is 4 1/4inches tall. It is possible to end after row 4.

Bind off in pattern. Do not break yarn. Insert the crochet hook into last stitch and crochet a chain of 4 stitches. Attach this chain by slip stitch crochet to selvedge of cozy. Continue to slip stitch until you are just above the last knit bump. Crochet another chain of 4 stitches and slip stitch this chain to the bottom of the cozy. Tie off yarn and weave in ends.

Sew on buttons. **NOTE** Sew top button just right of the selvedge. Put the buttoned cozy onto the cup and pull it across the bottom snugly (not tightly) and make a mental note of the placement, or mark the spot because the bottom of the cup's circumference is normally smaller than the top.

If your cup is slippery, (mine sure is) cut two or three 3" strips that are approximately 1/2 wide of Jiffy Grip, apply Fray Check around edges to prevent fraying, and glue onto the wrong side of the cable following the directions on the bottle. I was able to purchase only 4 inches of Jiffy Grip from JoAnn Fabrics. This is the way to go if you only need a small amount.



It's a good idea to give the cup also since you know that the cozy will fit.

This pattern is being provided for personal use only. Please do not make items for sale without my written permission.

Have a great day, and happy kniting!

12 comments:

  1. I really like this pattern, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...sswweett!! Thanx so much. I've been looking for a cable, (readable)coffee mug pattern for a good friend's birthday (she drinks tea - not in the reusable styrofoam's, but the actual mugs.) THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this simple yet wonderful cozy! Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this pattern! Saw it on Pinterest and Suzan Sanders sent me your way. Thank you Suzan! I'm not a knitter, but hopefully a friend will help me - since it is a small project! Or be kind and make one for me! LOL I'll make her something I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Zina, lovely pattern, easy to knit and just what I was looking for.

    Bee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I reviewed this on my blog its a great project check it out :) http://craftycrittercritique.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cant wait to do this project, however i just wanted to let you know of a slight error in the counting... cast on should be 52 stitches and not 53. 7 repetitions of p3k4 would be 49 stitches plus the extra 3 is 52.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't understand the crocheted slip stitch instructions. If someone could explain this part more thoroughly or include some step by step photos so I could see what she is talking about I would be really grateful because this is the part I have gotten stuck on with all of this mug with handle patterns. I know the crochet stitches but don't understand where to do what without photos or a different explanation. Thanks in advnace, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not Judy, however it did take me a few to figure it out. I think you are creating a loop with the 4 single crochet stitches, after the loop instead of cutting the yarn and creating another loop at the other end, this pattern has you single crochet down the edge and create another loop. Nice touch instead of cutting yarn and weaving in more ends!! I have big mugs so I do an I-cord loop and sc down the side to make another I-cord loop. Good luck. This is a really nice pattern. We girls are now getting together and knitting for our big Irish cups. We love our Cuppa o'tea!!!

      Delete
  9. Is there a 6th row missing from this pattern???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Zena, I volunteer for a dog and cat rescue. I am wondering if I can knit a few of these to sell at our craft table to help save more pets, please? Carolyn White

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear from you.